Dressmaking to Fit - Six Week Course
In this 6 week course, you will learn how to make and fit a dress using a paper pattern. You can use any of the independent patterns we stock (included in your course fee) and a range of sewing aids to create a perfectly fitting dress- or if you prefer a fitted top, skirt or trousers.
The focus of this course is on fitting so some previous experience of dressmaking will help you to get the most out of this course. Construction techniques will be demonstrated as required.
We will begin by discussing any fitting issues you have experienced previously.
If required, you'll make a toile (garment mock-up) to check the fit and tackle any fit issues. You'll learn how to transfer any adjustments to your paper pattern then use this to cut and make up your perfectly fitting garment.
Depending on the complexity of the pattern you choose and your level of experience, you may need to do some homework. You may not complete a finished dress in the 6 week period but you will learn lots of useful tricks for all your dressmaking projects!
Classes are kept small with a maximum of 4 students so you will receive lots of attention to assist your learning.
Payment plans are now available if you would like to spread the cost of your workshop. Contact us for more information.
During the workshop you will learn how to:
- Use and adapt a paper pattern
- Measure yourself, make first adaptations to the pattern and cut the correct size
- Make a toile, recognise fit issues and amend the pattern
- Perfect sewing techniques including inserting fastenings, darts, finishing raw edges, hems, pleats and any other skills as required for the chosen pattern
- Make well-fitting toiles which will lead to a perfect fit in your final garment
What is included:
- Use of all machines and equipment
- Your pattern worth up to £15 - choose from our range in-store with our guidance to help you pick the pattern appropriate to your level of sewing experience, lifestyle and body shape
- Calico or other suitable fabric for toiling
- Tea and biscuits
You will need to bring or buy from our shop:
- Fabric and notions as required for the chosen pattern
You will need to choose and prepare your fabric for week 2/3 so guidance can be given on this in the first 2 weeks
You are welcome to buy fabrics from our range or bring your own. We recommend you pre-wash all fabrics to be used in dressmaking so please allow time for this.
There is a maximum of 4 guests in this workshop.