Freya (she/her) is co-owner of Crafty Sew and So, and workshops co-ordinator. As well as teaching our award winning beginners sewing and craft workshops, Freya develops our sewing patterns and kits.
Overlocking 101 - Basics and Beyond Workshop
Learn how to set up, use and get the most out of your overlocker in a Full Day workshop in the Crafty Studio!
We'll start at the very beginning with a full run through of the parts of the machine, what equipment you need (and don't need!) and how to thread up the machine and get ready to sew.
We'll help you create your very first stitches and over the course of the day you will complete 3 projects which will equip you with all the skills you need for Overlocking with confidence on any project!
The beginners full day class includes all your materials and teaching in a small group with an experienced, knowledgeable and friendly tutor.
You have the choice to bring your own machine or use our workshop machines.
What will I need to bring?
- You can choose to use our studio machines or bring your own machine. Please let us know in the comments at the checkout if you will bring your own and what model it is.
- A packed lunch or money to buy lunch at a local cafe or shops - a microwave and fridge facilities are available
Everything else including threads, equipment and materials will be provided.
What will we make in the class?
In the morning we will take you through our full introduction to overlocking workshop. you will learn how to easily recognise how each thread makes up the stitch and how to adjust all settings to create perfect stitches every time. You’ll make your first project, a versatile drawstring bag.
In the afternoon, we will share an overview of Jersey fabrics and how to work with them and then create a cowl scarf and hat to help you get used to using jersey and sweat/fleece fabrics.
Learn ALL these essential skills!
How to set up the overlocker machine
What all the parts are and what they do
- How each thread makes up the stitch
How to troubleshoot all issues - tension, thread snapping, tangling, skipped stitches and much more!
How to balance your tensions and other settings to create neat balanced stitches
- How to use the guides on the machine to sew correct seam allowances
- Overlock multiple thicker layers of fabric
- Use various weights of and types fabric and learn how to adjust the machine settings for each
- Make a 3 projects entirely using the overlocker
We are a Covid-19 Secure venue and have implemented all government guidelines.
Please take a good look at our Covid-secure page for all the up to date details.
You’ll receive a confirmation email upon booking and you’ll also receive a reminder email in the week before your class. If you don’t receive these, please check your junk/spam folder.