Learn to Sew Jersey Babywear Workshop
Learn to sew baby clothes using knit jersey fabric with us on a full day workshop in the Crafty Studio!
This full day class is ideal for beginners to sewing jersey fabrics. You will make a super cute set including a top and Leggings suitable for sizes 1-12 years. This is a great first jersey fabric project and a lovely introduction to sewing babywear.
The class will be led by Zareen, our babywear expert.
We'll start at the very beginning with a run through what equipment you need and how to set up the machine and your workspace ready to sew.
We'll help you create your first stretch stitches and over the course of the day you will construct your first jersey fabric garments which will equip you with key skills you need for your next sewing projects!
What will you make in the class?
We'll be using the tried and tested patterns by Bobbins n Buttons to make a raglan sleeve top and co-ordinating cuffed leggings.
Starting with your cut out paper pattern, we will help you cut out your fabric using the pattern and sharing tips for getting the best use out of the fabric and cutting stretchy fabrics.
Once your fabric is cut out we'll show you how to construct your garment step by step.
What is included:
- Your pattern - this will ready and waiting for you
- Threads, equipment and sewing machines are all provided
What will I need to bring?
- Your child's measurements
- You can choose to use our studio machines or bring your own machine.
- 1.5m Cotton jersey fabric. You may wish to also bring a 10cm by <1m strip of contrast colour jersey or rib fabric for bindings if you’d like these to be contrasting (we will have some small pieces available too)
- A packed lunch or money to buy lunch at a local cafe or shops - we have a microwave and a fridge you can use.
Learn all these essential sewing skills!
How to use a paper pattern
Following sewing instructions
- How to pin and cut jersey fabric
How to set up the sewing machine/overlocker for stitching stretch fabrics
How to use the guides on the machine to create small seams
How to troubleshoot any issues - tension, thread snapping, tangling, skipped stitches and much more!
How to stretch on a neckband/hem band
How to topstitch neatly
How to sew through thicker layers of fabric
We are a Covid-19 Secure venue and have implemented all government guidelines.
You’ll receive a confirmation email upon booking and you’ll also receive a reminder email in the week before your class. If you don’t receive these, please check your junk/spam folder.