Jeans Making Weekender - 2 day course - January 2022
Sorry, out of stock
Sew your own pair of unique handmade jeans with us in this 2-day workshop!
We're excited to be restarting our workshops after lockdown! Please read our Covid policy before booking to ensure you are happy with the additional safety measures we will be taking during the class.
This workshop is being held at our Studio in The Makers Yard. Our Studio is within a beautiful listed building that was once a thriving hosiery factory!
You will make your jeans in the workshop over 2 full days from 10am-5pm with the hands-on help of 2 experienced tutors.
This workshop focuses on the construction techniques involved in making a pair of jeans from scratch including resolving some common fitting issues.
Our 2 tutors will help you every step of the way with demonstrations and advice.
Choose from a range of patterns or bring your own. If you choose the pattern included option, you will be sent the jeans pattern of your choice to pre-cut the paper pattern pieces at home before the workshop. You will make any adjustments to the paper pattern, with our help, in the workshop before cutting your fabric.
We’re here to support you before the workshop too. We will invite you to join a WhatsApp group to access support and get to know your fellow sewists before the workshop. We will be in touch with you regulary in the run up to the workshop and you are very welcome to get in touch if you have any questions, at any time.
The full cost of the course is £235 including a pattern or £220 if you wish to bring your own pattern. This includes all your notions.
Payment plans are now available to help you spread the cost of your workshop. Pay a deposit now and we will invoice you for the remainder in the 1st week of December.
You will learn:
- Simple pattern adjustments to tweak the fit of the paper pattern to your body measurements
- How cut and sew heavy fabrics like denim and twill
- How to insert a fly zip with step by step instructions
- How to fit jeans to your body
- How to master top stitching and seam finishing
- How to add hardware
We will provide:
- Your pattern and instructions (if you have chosen this option)
- Interfacing as required
- A blue or black jeans zip
- Threads including top stitching thread in selected colours - but if there is a specific colour match or top-stitching colour you would like, we recommend bringing your own.
- Hardware including a button and rivets in silver and bronze options
- Use of overlockers and all workshop equipment
You will need to bring or buy from the shop:
- If you want anything other than blue or black zips or if you want to use your own specific hardware, please bring these with you. We’ll provide blue or black zips and silver or bronze hardware in your kit.
- 1.5-2m denim, cord or twill fabric - the amount will depend on the pattern chosen and size. Please refer to the pattern for information and contact us with any queries.
You can buy your fabric from us or bring some along.
We recommend you pre-wash all fabric so please allow time for this.
- 50cm medium weight cotton such as poplin or quilt cotton for pocket linings and facings
- EDIT* you do not need to bring your own machine but you can if you wish - We have 3 Brother F420 workshop sewing machines and we will have 4 brand new Janome computerised machines in time for this course!
- All other trims are provided
To personalise your jeans further you may wish to bring sketches of a pocket design and your own pocket stitching thread or embellishments. Feel free to contact us to discuss your ideas before the workshop.
Refreshments including hot and cold drinks and cakes and biscuits will be provided throughout the day. Please bring a packed lunch or money to buy lunch at one of the lovely local cafes.
Where can I stay?
Local accommodation in beautiful self catering appartments is available. Contact us for details. The Premier Inn is also a great option and very close by.
There will be a maximum of 6 guests in this workshop supported by 2 tutors.