Make a Summer Dress in our Studio over 4 weeks
Do you want to make your own dress? This workshop is a great next step for anyone who has made a few garments and is ready for the next challenge!
Choose from a selection of simple but stylish dress patterns and make your own gorgeous Summery dress with us over 4 weeks in the Crafty Studio!
We'll start at the very beginning with how to choose fabric, a full run through of every element of a sewing pattern, what equipment you need (and don't need!) and how to measure yourself and choose what size to make.
We'll help you learn how to use the paper pattern to cut your fabric accurately and over the course you will sew your dress. We'll cover a range of fastenings, finishes and fit issues together. This course will equip you with all the skills you need for many garment sewing projects to come!
Choose to make either a strappy button-through dress, shirred sundress, mock-wrap dress or trim embellished beach dress.
All patterns are available in size XS-2XL (see our full size chart here)
The course includes a paper pattern, all your notions and equipment and teaching in a small group with an experienced, knowledgable and friendly tutor.
This class is open sewists of all genders and is suitable for ages 12 years and up. Young adults age 12-16 years will need to attend with a paying adult.
You have the choice to bring your own machine or use our workshop machines.
What's included in the workshop?
- A paper copy of your sewing pattern - please let us know which style you would like to make ahead of the class
- All notions required (fastenings, threads etc)
- All tools and equipment including our studio machines
- A useful handout to remind you of what you have learnt for future garment sewing projects
What will I need to bring?
- 1.5-3m Woven fabric - you can buy this from our range on the day or bring your own - you do not need this fabric in the first week. We will advise the amount required after your booking and you can wait until week 1 to buy your fabric with our help if you wish.
Everything else including equipment and other materials will be provided.
Learn ALL these essentials skills!
- Choosing the best fabric for your project
- Anatomy of a sewing pattern
- Preparing the paper pattern
- How to measure yourself and choose the right size
- Cutting the fabric using a pattern
- Using pattern instructions
- Making a dress
- Fastenings including buttons, elastic, shirring
- Using interfacing
- Finishing including overlocking edges, applying binding or trim
- Fitting the bust and the waist/hips
This workshop is being held at our Studio in The Makers Yard. Our Studio is within a beautiful listed building that was once a thriving hosiery factory!
We're excited to have restarted our workshops after lockdown! Please read our Covid policy before booking to ensure you are happy with the additional safety measures we will be taking during the class.
There is a maximum of 6 guests in this workshop.