Measure. Alter. Make - Learn how to adapt dressmaking patterns to fit you - 4 week evening course in our Studio
Do you want to make clothes that fit you? Do you feel unsure about which size to cut out or maybe you’ve made a few garments and the fit just hasn’t been quite right?
I want to show you how learning to recognise and measure key points on your body and on the pattern will help you make alterations to ensure the pattern fits.
This course is a great next step for anyone who has made a few garments and wants to focus on getting a perfect fit and learning tricks to make any dressmaking pattern fit you.
Bring your own pattern* or choose one from the my Handmade Wardrobe Patterns range.
We will start by taking accurate measurements and creating your body measurement map - An invaluable tool to help you measure and alter all patterns.
I will then work with you step by step to measure and alter your pattern so that it will fit you.
We can also discuss and apply any design alterations or alternative fastenings and finishes to make your pattern perfect for you.
You can then choose to make a toile mock up of your garment (recommended) Or go straight into making your garment in your chosen fabric.
This course will run in the evenings over 4 weeks in the Crafty Studio!
The course includes a paper pattern if required, all your notions and equipment and teaching in a small group with an experienced, knowledgable and friendly tutor.
This class is open sewists of all genders and is suitable for ages 12 years and up. Young adults age 12-16 years will need to attend with a paying adult.
You have the choice to bring your own machine or use our workshop machines.
What's included in the workshop?
- Paper, tape and equipment to amend your pattern
- All notions required for sampling (calico, fastenings, threads etc)
- All tools and equipment including our studio machines
- Your Body Measurement Map and a useful handout to remind you of what you have learnt for future garment sewing projects
What will I need to bring?
- 1.5-3m fabric - We will advise the amount required after your booking and you can wait until after week 1 to buy your fabric with our help if you wish.
Everything else including equipment and other materials will be provided.
Learn ALL these essentials skills!
- Considering your choice of fabric and adapting a pattern to suit it
- What to look for on a sewing pattern to give you clues about how the pattern will fit- finished, measurements, ease, fabric recommendations etc
- How to measure yourself and choose the right size
- Preparing the paper pattern - pinpointing key measurement points, measuring your pattern and altering it to you. This may include bust adjustments, dark manipulations, lengthening/shortening, full tummy adjustments etc
- How to alter fastenings including buttons, elastic, shirring
- How to change finishing methods including overlocking edges, applying binding or trim
- Fitting the garment - what to look for, how to alter it and transfer the amends to the pattern for future use
This workshop is being held at our Studio in The Makers Yard. Our Studio is within a beautiful listed building that was once a thriving hosiery factory!
Free Street parking is available locally after 6 pm.
We're excited to have restarted our workshops after lockdown! Please read our Covid policy before booking to ensure you are happy with the additional safety measures we will be taking during the class.
There is a maximum of 6 guests in this workshop.
* we recommend a simple dress, skirt, top or trouser pattern to begin with but if you have a more complex pattern please get in touch with us to discuss your options.