The Dressmakers Ball FAQs
What is The Dressmakers Ball?
The idea for the Dressmakers Ball came about as we stood around the cutting table and moaned that we didn't have occasions to make and wear gowns... So we created one!
The Dressmakers Ball is a fun evening event for dressmakers and those with a passion for all things sewing related, to get together, admire each others fabulous gowns and finery, and generally have a great time with like-minded sewing friends.
When and how can I buy tickets?
Tickets will be available on a first come - first served basis from 8am on Friday 15th July right here on the Crafty Sew & So website!
Please note you will receive an e-ticket only, no paper tickets will be sent out.
Can anyone come?
Yes we have made it our mission to make sure EVERYONE will feel welcome at The Dressmakers Ball! So no matter your gender, race, level of sewing experience, dietary and accessibility requirements, anyone who loves sewing and the wonderful sewing community is welcome.
We are pro body-positivity and freedom of expression for all.
None of my friends sew, can I come on my own? I am worried I won't know anyone...
The sewing community is THE MOST WONDERFUL and FRIENDLY community there is! There are 140 tickets and honestly by the end of the night you WILL have made 139 new dressmaking friends!
But if you are coming solo, we, your hosts Sarah, Emma and Freya will be there to welcome you at the door, so do let us know and we will guide you towards some fabulous new friends who will make you so welcome.
Is the event Accessible?
We have carefully chosen a venue which has good accessibility and we are working closely with them to ensure everybody has a fantastic time. Here are some of the things which might be helpful for you to know:
- There is step-free access to the front door via a gentle ramp and there is a lift to the first floor.
- There is no lift to the bedrooms so we recommend guest with accessibility requirements to stay at the Gresham Hotel (see "Where can I stay?")
- There is a disabled toilet located on the ground floor
- The ball room is upstairs and the disabled toilet is downstairs.
- The toilets are well equipped with a handrail and space to maneuver. We will be providing more information about the facilities in due course after our next visit.
- We have been allocated 4 car parking spaces for use by event organisers and city rooms hotel guests. If you require a car parking space do get in touch with us and we we try our best to allocate you one. Otherwise the nearest parking is street parking on Friar lane which is free from 6pm on Saturday and all day Sunday.
- There are no hearing loops at the venue.
- There will be no strobe or flashing lights. The room will be well lit at all times.
- There is a quiet room downstairs which may act as safe place for sensory overload or to take medications if required. If you need more privacy or a place to rest do let us know as we also have an organisers space we can use.
- Dietary requirements for food have been collected at the time of booking. Please make sure you add any dietary requirements in the comments box at the checkout. This really helps us make sure everyone's requirements are met, thanks.
- Some tables will be cleared down after dinner for dancing, but some will be left in situ for those who wish to use them still. Tables will be laid out so that anyone using mobility aids can access the key spaces.
- Please let us know if you would like a seat reserved near to the lift or away from the speakers.
- Dinner is served as a self-service buffet - if you need help please let myself, Emma or Freya know and we will be happy to help to bring food directly to the table.
Do I have to Make my own Dress?
Although this event is a great opportunity to go all out and have fun making your own evening wear, you absolutely do not need to make your own dress to attend. Previous attendees have made accessories, upcycled ready to wear or just styled up casual me-made-makes!
You don't even have to wear a dress! Any form of eveningwear is fine - skirts, trousers, jackets, playsuits, shorts etc! Whatever makes you feel FABULOUS!
Where is the venue?
The event will be held at The City Rooms in Leicester
Event Address: 6 Hotel St, Leicester LE1 5AW
Phone: 0116 251 5337
The City Rooms is a Georgian, Grade 1 listed wedding venue and banqueting hall with boutique bedrooms in the heart of Leicester city centre.
The Ballroom, with its magnificent windows and grand chandeliers, is a stunning setting for our main event and is sure to take your breath away. It spans the whole length of the first floor and is 9 metres in height which gives the room a sense of space and grandeur. As well as the ballroom we also have a beautifully decorated bar and suite, which is perfect for welcome drinks and also acts as a chill out space throughout the evening.
How can I get there and where can I park?
The City Rooms is located approximately 10-15 minute walk from Leicester train station, and an equal distance from the Haymarket bus station. Leicester is easily accessed by Train from most locations in the UK. At the time of writing there are no engineering works planned for the event weekend but please check before you travel.
The nearest parking is street parking on Friar lane which is free from 6pm on Saturday and all day Sunday. For more parking options visit Parkopedia.
Car parking spaces are available at the venue for use by The City Rooms Hotel guests.
Where can I stay?
4 rooms are available at the venue, The City Rooms Hotel. Please contact the City Rooms hotel directly to book these rooms for the evening of the event.
We have also negotiated special rates for guests at The Gresham Hotel on Market Street, approximately 3 minutes walk from the City Rooms. More information will be sent out after you purchase a ticket.
We also have links with Sanctuary Serviced Apartments, who offer a range of high quality serviced apartments Leicester city centre, with 1-2 rooms, sleeping 2-6 guests and providing a great base for an overnight stay or longer.
Can I make a weekend of it?
Why not to come down on the Friday night and make the most of Leicester!
There is plenty to see and do. Visit one of the many exhibitions happening over the weekend. Take in a show at the Curve Theatre, which is right next door to our studios in the Makers Yard! Or enjoy street food, art and comedy at the Last Friday at LCB Depot
And did we mention the fabric shops...?! Visit Stuart on the market for deadstock bargains galore and a good bit of banter thrown in too! Roys Material World is also across the way in The Malcolm Arcade. John Lewis in the Highcross shopping centre has a well stocked haberdashery on the lower ground floor.
We also will be hosting a post-party brunch event (venue TBC but will be in the city centre) from 10.30am-12noon (approx) on the Sunday.
And we will be opening the Crafty Sew & So studio during the weekend too! We're working out the finer details - unfortunately we can't quite fit 140 people in all at once! But we'd love you to come and see our studio so we will be offering some appointments on Friday and Saturday morning.
We'll be adding to this FAQs page right up to the event so do let us know if you have any questions you'd like us to answer by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org