Work with Us
SHOP ASSISTANT JOB DESCRIPTION
Start date 1st May TBC
Part time: 10 hours per week, over Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
Contract: Fixed term contract for 8 months, with the possibility of extension
Probationary period: 3 month
Location: Leicester City Centre
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Crafty Sew & So has been running craft and sewing workshops around Leicestershire since 2013. In 2015 we expanded into our current premises in St Martins Square in the heart of Leicester city centre. Here we offer premium quality fabrics and haberdashery, independent patterns, Brother sewing Machines, kits and gifts for sewing enthusiasts and a wide range of sewing workshops. Crafty Sew & So is all about getting people creating, making and sewing.
Crafty Sew & So aims to inspire everyone who walks through the door to pick up a new hobby or develop their skills in an old one. We offer workshops in a wide range of crafts and we are excited to be able to widen our range as we go.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an enthusiastic and helpful shop assistant to assist ensuring workshops run smoothly, serve our in store customers, get orders out to our online customers, booking customers in to workshops and taking payments for goods. You will also be required to help to keep the shop clean and presentable and help to maintain stock levels.
Our ideal candidate will be enthusiastic and self-motivated, even during quiet times. You will have a positive, can do attitude, enjoy customer service and be willing to go the extra mile for our customers. You will be efficient and punctual, willing to try your hand at new things and able to keep the shop and workshop clean, organised and professional.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
Our primary focus at Crafty Sew & So is delivering the best customer service to everyone who walks in our door. First and foremost, you will need to be confident and happy to talk to customers about a variety of topics around our stock and our workshops, as well as advise them on their current or future projects as required. You will be expected to be confident about our products and keep track of which workshops we have running in the coming weeks and process sales at the till.
In addition to excellent customer service we will expect you to assist in the running of the day to day of the business, including the following:
- Processing online sales, ensuring items are packaged up appropriately and in good time.
- Confidently cutting fabric to the correct length for customers.
- Developing a strong product knowledge of sewing machines, fabrics and other goods we stock.
- Dealing with any customer queries and orders.
- Effectively communicating product knowledge to inspire and inform customers to facilitate sales.
- Processing both Standard and Agency sewing machine sales for Brother sewing machines and maintaining our in store stocks of the Standard range - requires some light manual handling- up to 15kg.
- Checking stock levels and replenishing shelves- recording where stocks are low and reporting back to your manager to enable a fast restock.
- Assisting with assembling kits and patterns produced at Crafty Sew & So.
- Recording online and in store workshops and lesson bookings to the Google Calendar.
- Maintaining a clean and safe environment for customers and staff.
- Running errands outside of the shop, including post runs and buying supplies.
- Preparing the workshop space for classes.
- Tracing off patterns and cutting out fabric for samples, sewing the samples if you possess the relevant skills, training will be provided as required by the partners.
- Printing documents, including current Sewing Machine offers and workshop time tables.
- Cleaning the sewing machines – training will be given
- An understanding of and interest in sewing patterns, fabrics and sewing generally.
- Experience sewing clothes and other projects, including in jersey fabric.
- A passion for sewing and an ability to use that enthusiasm to inform and help customers with queries.
- A friendly, positive attitude and willingness to develop product knowledge with training and share your experience.
- Accuracy and attention to detail- keeping the shop floor organised and a pleasant and safe place for customers to shop.
- Confident cash handling skills.
- Accuracy with regards to cutting fabrics and patterns for workshops.
- Willingness to work in a flexible manner and undertake other duties as reasonably required by the needs of the business.
- A friendly attitude, sense of humour and enjoyment in work.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with two attachments (Word or PDF):
1) A covering letter (2 pages max) describing:
- How you meet the essential requirements of the post
- Why you would love the job
2) Your CV outlining any relevant training and experience, including email and phone number contacts for two referees.
We will want to talk to referees before a final decision is made, so please indicate whether we can contact either referee before a job offer is confirmed.
The deadline to submit your application is Friday 22nd February 2019.
If you’re shortlisted, you’ll be invited to an interview and/or a trial related to some of the essential requirements. Interviews will take place the two weeks following 11th March 2019.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.