Beginners Dressmaking - Pleated or Gathered Skirt
Learn to use a dressmaking pattern and make your own choice of skirt on a Full Day workshop in the Crafty Studio!
Using the All the Cute Skirts Pattern by My Handmade Wardrobe Patterns, we'll take you step by step through the process of making your won choice of skirt. We'll help you learn how to measure yourself and choose what size to make.
We'll help you learn how to use the paper pattern to cut your fabric accurately and over the course of the day you will sew your garment. Depending on the pattern chosen, you will learn a wealth of skills you will use for many garment sewing projects to come!
Choose to make either a gathered or pleated.
This full day class includes a paper pattern, all equipment and teaching in a small group with an experienced, knowledgeable and friendly tutor.
This class is open sewists of all genders and is suitable for ages 12 years and up. Young adults age 12-16 years will need to attend with a paying adult.
You have the choice to bring your own machine or use our workshop machines.
What's included in the workshop?
- A paper copy of your sewing pattern
- All notions required (fastenings, threads etc)
- All tools and equipment including our studio machines
- A useful handout to remind you of what you have learnt for future garment sewing projects
What will I need to bring?
- 1.5-2.5m Woven fabric - depending on the style chosen and your measurements. See the charts below and contact us if you need advice. You can buy this from our range on the day or bring your own.
- A packed lunch or money to buy lunch at a local cafe or shop - we have a microwave and a fridge you can use.
Everything else including equipment and other materials will be provided.
What will we make in the class?
In the morning we will take you through our introduction to using dressmaking patterns and garment sewing then you will create your choice of garment
Learn ALL these essentials skills!
- Choosing the best fabric for your project
- Anatomy of a sewing pattern
- Preparing the paper pattern
- How to measure yourself and choose the right size
- Cutting the fabric using a pattern
- Using pattern instructions
- Making your choice of skirt
- How to insert an zip
- How to gather or pleat fabric or make darts
- How to use interfacing
This workshop is being held at our Studio in The Makers Yard. Our Studio is within a beautiful listed building that was once a thriving hosiery factory!
We're excited to have restarted our workshops after lockdown! Please read our Covid policy before booking to ensure you are happy with the additional safety measures we will be taking during the class.
Refreshments including hot and cold drinks and cakes/biscuits will be provided throughout the day. Please bring a packed lunch or money to buy lunch at one of the lovely local cafes.
Where can I stay?
There will be a maximum of 4 guests in this workshop.