Garment Making for Beginners in our Studio
Learn to use dressmaking patterns and make your own garments with us on a Full Day workshop in the Crafty Studio!
We'll start at the very beginning with how to choose fabric, a full run through of every element of a sewing pattern, what equipment you need (and don't need!) and how to measure yourself and choose what size to make.
We'll help you learn how to use the paper pattern to cut your fabric accurately and over the course of the day you will sew your first garment. This session will equip you with all the skills you need for many garment sewing projects to come!
Choose to make either a wrap skirt or loose woven trousers - ideal for use as PJ bottoms/lounge pants.
The beginners full day class is £87 and this includes a paper pattern, all your materials and equipment and teaching in a small group with an experienced, knowledgable and friendly tutor.
This class is open sewists of all genders and is suitable for ages 12 years and up. Young adults age 12-16 years will need to attend with a paying adult.
You have the choice to bring your own machine or use our workshop machines.
What's included in the workshop?
- A paper copy of your sewing pattern - either a wrap skirt or PJ bottoms
- Up to 2m fabric from our range - choose beforehand so you can pre-wash or choose on the day
- All notions required (fastenings, threads etc)
- All tools and equipment including our studio machines
- A useful handout to remind you of what you have learnt for future garment sewing projects
What will I need to bring?
- A packed lunch or money to buy lunch at a local cafe or shops - please note, we do have a microwave but no fridge facilities are available
Everything else including equipment and materials will be provided.
What will we make in the class?
In the morning we will take you through our full introduction to garment sewing
In the afternoon you will create a garment - either a wrap skirt or PJ bottoms
Learn ALL these essentials skills!
- Choosing the best fabric for your project
- Anatomy of a sewing pattern
- Preparing the paper pattern
- How to measure yourself and choose the right size
- Cutting the fabric using a pattern
- Using pattern instructions
- Making your first sewn garment
We are a Covid-19 Secure venue and have implemented all government guidelines.
How Covid Safe works in the Crafty Sew & So Studio:
We recommend you take a lateral flow test before attending and wear a mask when not seated and when moving around the building. Please take a good look at our Covid-secure page for all the up to date details.
You’ll receive a confirmation email upon booking and you’ll also receive a reminder email in the week before your class. If you don’t receive these, please check your junk/spam folder.