Dressmaking - Shirt Making - 2 week course
Learn essential shirt making techniques to make a shirt in a style of your choice.
Choose from the following patterns to create your shirt:
Make a fitted shirt using the fantastic Sewaholic Granville shirt pattern which is shaped to fit modern women or the casual. Suitable for Sizes UK 8-22.
The Kalle by Closet Case Patterns to make a cool and casual modern shirt or shirtdress in sizes US0-20
Make a fun western-style shirt or shirtdress using the Rosa pattern by Tilly and the Buttons in Sizes UK8-18
The cool Negroni shirt pattern by Walden Patterns is ideal to make a casual shirt
The Fairfield button-up by Thread Theory is a button-up shirt with all of the classic details and a modern, moderately slim fit. This design features a slim collar with collar stand, an optional chest pocket and a yoke
Please let us know which pattern you would like to make when you check out so we can ensure we have this in stock
In the Workshop:
Make a smart or casual shirt in this workshop using a selection of pattern produced by independent pattern designers.
This course is run over 2 full days to allow you to fully understand and enjoy the process. We will take a short break for lunch so please bring provisions or money to buy lunch in one of the lovely cafes nearby. Each day consists of a 6.5 hour class that runs from 10am-5pm with a 30-minute lunch break.
During the workshop you will learn how to:
- Measure your body and select the correct size to cut out.
- Lay and cut your pattern pieces following the lay plans
- Make up the shirt following the detailed and clear pattern instructions with extra explanation and demonstration of specific techniques where required.
- Check the fit of the garment throughout the process
- Sewing, finishing and pressing techniques for a professional finish
What is included:
- Use of all machines and equipment
- Your choice of pattern
- Expert tuition and guidance throughout
- Tea and biscuits
What you need to bring:
- 2 to 3m medium weight cotton or lightweight denim or chambray fabric - the amount will depend on your pattern choice
- If you are an experienced dressmaker you may also use more drapey fabrics including viscose, satin, cotton lawn
- Matching thread
You are welcome to buy fabric from our range or bring your own.
We recommend that all fabrics to be used for dressmaking are pre-washed to avoid shrinkage so please buy your fabric ahead of the class to allow time for this.