Dressmaking - Shirt Making - 2 day weekend course
Learn essential shirt making techniques to make a shirt in the style of your choice.
Choose from the following patterns to create your shirt:
Kalle by Closet Case Patterns to make a cool and casual modern shirt or shirtdress in sizes US0-20.
Rosa shirt or shirt dress pattern by Tilly and the Buttons in Sizes UK 8-18
Grainline Studio Archer shirt in Sizes UK 8-18
Cashmerette Harrison shirt in Sizes 12-28
Fairfield button-up by Thread Theory - a button-up shirt with all of the classic details and a modern, moderately slim fit. This design features a slim collar with collar stand, an optional chest pocket and a yoke.
Please let us know which pattern you would like to make when you check out so we can ensure we have this in stock.
Payment plans are now available if you would like to spread the cost of your workshop. Contact us for more information.
This course is run over 2 full days to allow you to fully understand and enjoy the process. We will take a short break for lunch so please bring provisions or money to buy lunch in one of the lovely cafes nearby. Each day consists of a 6.5 hour class that runs from 10am-5pm with a 30-minute lunch break.
During the workshop you will learn how to:
- Measure your body and select the correct size to cut out.
- Lay and cut your pattern pieces following the lay plans
- Make up the shirt following the detailed and clear pattern instructions with extra explanation and demonstration of specific techniques where required.
- Check the fit of the garment throughout the process
- Sewing, finishing and pressing techniques for a professional finish
What is included:
- Use of all machines and equipment
- Your choice of pattern
- Expert tuition and guidance throughout
- Tea and biscuits
What you need to bring:
- 2 to 3m medium weight cotton or lightweight denim or chambray fabric - the amount will depend on your pattern choice
- If you are an experienced dressmaker you may also use more drapey fabrics including viscose, satin, cotton lawn
- Matching thread
You are welcome to buy fabric from our range or bring your own. We recommend that all fabrics to be used for dressmaking are pre-washed to avoid shrinkage so please buy your fabric ahead of the class to allow time for this.
There is a maximum of 4 guests in this workshop.