This course will be taught by either Tracy or Freya. Freya is a co-partner of Crafty Sew&So. She has many years of sewing experience and is passionate about encouraging learning by sharing her skills with others. Tracy Corns runs an embroidery business, Sew Nothing's Impossible, and teaches sewing at venues in Leicestershire. Tracy has been sewing since childhood and loves making unique items, using beautiful fabric combinations.
Introduction to Overlocking Workshop in Our Studio
Overlockers (known in the US as sergers) can seem scary but in this introduction to overlocking, you'll soon feel confident using one.
In this 3 hour long class you will learn how to set up, thread-up and use your overlocker and also how to recognise, cut and sew jersey fabrics.
You can bring in your own machine, or use one of ours in the session.
This is the perfect introduction to jersey fabric before making your first jersey garment using a overlocker. You can then follow on and try our cardigan, simple tee or leggings workshops!
Our pre-recorded introduction to jersey fabrics is a great complimentary class to build your knowledge and confidence sewing with jersey fabrics.
During the workshop you will learn how to:
- Set up an overlocker to work with different fabrics
- Recognise and work with different types of jersey fabric
- Make a cowl scarf to practice your new skills
What is included:
- Fabric for your cowl scarf (we will offer you a choice of suitable plain single jersey fabrics)
- All equipment and tools
- Tea, coffee and biscuits!
- Your overlocker with 4 spools of thread (we recommend polyester sew-all thread for overlocking) You can easily transport your machine in a small suitcase, and we have a loading bay outside our building, so you can drop your machine off before you park if you want to. Just arrive early, ring the buzzer and we will come down to collect it.
If you are bringing in your own overlocker, please let us know the make and model name/number of your machine in the comments when you make your booking.