This course will be taught by either Tracy or Sarah. Sarah Wadey is the founder and co-partner of Crafty Sew&So. She has many years of sewing and design industry experience and is passionate about encouraging learning by sharing her skills with others. Tracy Corns runs an embroidery business, Sew Nothing's Impossible, and teaches sewing at venues in Leicestershire. Tracy has been sewing since childhood and loves making unique items, using beautiful fabric combinations.
Live Online Workshop - Introduction to Dressmaking Patterns
In this 2 hour long tutored online class you will learn how to read, prepare and use and pattern for dressmaking. This class is designed for complete newbies to dressmaking and patterns but is also a great refresher for those who haven't sewn clothing in a while!
This workshop will teach you:
- Commercial pattern vs Independent patterns - what are the differences
- Discussion about PDF patterns, how to use them and what to look out for
- What to look for on the pattern envelope - finished measurements, fabric choices and styling info
- How to measure yourself and cut the correct pattern size - including looking at ease and pattern sizing/grading
- What do all the symbols on the pattern mean?
- How to prepare your paper pattern and how to place on the fabric ready for cutting
This session focuses on the preparation of the pattern and fabric for sewing. We will not be sewing in this session. However, if you need help completing the project we are happy to offer help through email and via our Crafty Sew and So's Facebook group.
If you choose, a pattern is provided for this project, this will be posted to you straight after booking. The options are available below.
Please let us know what pattern you would like in the comments section when booking
Choose from any My Handmade Wardrobe pattern:
- Ruler/tape measure
- Fabric marking pens/chalk
- Paper scissors
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Pins and basic sewing kit
You will also receive:
- Guide to using PDF patterns
- Guide to preparing your pattern and cutting your fabric
- Zoom set-up guide
This is a Live Online Workshop - Learn to Sew at Home with us! To find out more about how our Live Online Workshops work click Here
Please note: Because we are sending your materials before the class no refunds are available for this booking less than 10 days before the workshop unless we have to cancel. Please see our full refunds policy for details.
BOOK NOW! Bookings close at midnight 7 days before the workshop to allow for posting out your materials pack. Book by the previous Sunday for classes on Saturday and book by the previous Thursday for classes on Thursday.