Top Tips for Decluttering Your Sewing Room
Everyone's sewing space gets messy and unorganised when its being used (and sometimes when it isn't, somehow!) so there is zero judgement from us on that. You should see our studio! More often than not it's a complete mess, with projects and supplies all over the place.
But we find it can get overwhelming, and work best when we're working in a more organised space. Which means we have to tidy up often. To make this easier on ourselves, we have set up some simple systems to help us stay organised. Here are some tips for organizing a sewing space:
- Sort your supplies: Go through all of your sewing supplies and sort them into categories, such as fabrics, notions, patterns, and tools. This will make it easier to find what you need when you need it.
- Use storage solutions: Invest in storage solutions such as bins, baskets, and shelving to keep your supplies organized and easily accessible.
- Keep frequently used items within reach: Keep the items that you use most often within easy reach so that you don't have to go digging through your supplies every time you need something.
- Label everything: Label all of your storage containers so that you know exactly what's inside. This will save you time and frustration when you're looking for a specific item.
- Utilize wall space: Use your walls to store items such as scissors, rotary cutters, and rulers. This will free up space on your work surface.
- Invest in a good-quality iron and ironing board: A good iron and ironing board are essential for any sewing project. Make sure you have a designated space for them in your sewing area.
- Keep your sewing machine and overlocker clean and well-maintained: Regular maintenance will help to ensure that your sewing machine and overlocker are always in good working order.
- Take breaks and tidy up: Don't let your sewing space get too cluttered. Take breaks to tidy up and put things away as you go. This will help to keep your space organized and make it a more pleasant place to work.